Monday, December 31, 2012

LAST MINUTE FINDS

Sometimes you just luck out.  It's as simple as that.  I suppose I should backtrack a bit so this makes a little sense.

At some point earlier in the year it was pointed out how one of our local birders was going to break the record for number of species observed in Alachua County (241) - a record this man set himself a few years back.  It was then I took a look at the number of species I had observed up to that point, and I figured I had decent shot at least of tying the now old record.

Fast forward to the last two days of the year, and I needed four species to hit the mark I set for myself.  On Sunday I decided I had favorable odds to find a Henslow's sparrow.  So I set out to one of the known locations where they have been observed multiple times in the past - Gum Root Park.

"Sparrow Heights" at Gum Root Park

Check out the frost on this blackberry - it was cold out!
Fortune struck early out there in the frost covered open field.  I was walking through the bushy bluestem, as Henslow's tend to favor grasses such as it.  As luck would have it I flushed one out of a clump of Andropogon and it actually flew up to a small clump of immature laurel oaks, instead of running along the ground to hide.  Perched in the laurel oaks, the sunlight was rising at the right angle where it shone like a spotlight on the individual.  The olive green plumage coloration in the facial region was highlighted like a textbook example, I couldn't have asked for a better view of an individual.  Then to my surprise I heard the "flea-lick" song from behind me, and realized I had two individuals present.  What a start to the morning.
Henslow's sparrow


Henslow's sparrow
Chipping Sparrows

See, it was cold - check out this Eastern bluebird

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Hatchet Creek flowing after a substantial rain event
 With my spirits high and a feeling flowing through me that I may even find another new species or two of the year, I decided to head out to the Hatchet Creek Tract at the Newnan's Lake Conservation Area to see what riches may lay hidden and waiting to be discovered.  To preface what ultimately would occur, let it be known since the first red-breasted nuthatch signaled the oncoming irruption I had been hoping I would get the opportunity to see one.  The last individual I had seen was as a youth in Illinois.


Asphalt and wooden creosote soaked bridge over Hatchet Creek

Hatchet Creek


After I don't know how many attempts to place myself in an ecosystem where they may desire to forage, I had all but given up hope I would see one.  After traipsing around suitable habitat throughout the tract for many hours, I was walking back along the trail which divided the higher quality pine flatwoods from the forested floodplain of the creek.  I stopped on a very tiny knoll as it offered a slightly elevated vantage point from which to view the pine flatwoods.  There I played a call and after it stopped I was nearly turning to leave when I heard a "yank-yank" response from just overhead.  I turned and looked up in a snag and there was a red-breasted nuthatch peering down at me, only a few feet away.  Stunned, I completely forgot to grab my camera, as I just stood there enthralled at feasting my eyes on the bird which had been eluding me these past few months.  The nuthatch flew to a nearby pine and I came to my senses and snapped off way too many photos, hoping at least one or two would be useable for documentation.  I was so overjoyed at finally finding one of these nuthatches, it felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off my back.  I honestly had not realized how much effort I had been putting in to find this species until that very moment.  It's funny how the little things can truly free you and make you blissful at the same time.

Higher quality pine flatwoods onsite

Red-breasted Nuthatch!!!



As I figured it wouldn't get any better, I decided to call it quits for the day.  I know when to fold 'em.  I figured with this sudden eruption of good fortune I would definitely need to head out the next morning to see if I could just find two more species to elevate me to 241 for the year in the county.

Blue-headed Vireo

Barred Owl at beginning of trail
Today started out entirely different than yesterday.  It's part of the beauty of birding.  Everything can change from day to day.  I figured I would try to start early and try and get a whip-poor-will or american woodcock, but my body apparently told me I needed more sleep, because I overslept and missed the break of dawn.  Having likely no chance to find these species, I focused my efforts on a couple of others.  I hit a few different locations today, and had no luck with any new species.  I had all but decided to be very satisfied with 239, a very respectable number, when I thought about taking a little walk through the Prairie Creek Conservation Area.

Prairie Creek Conservation Area - Orange Trail


I decided to traipse down the orange trail and see what was there, as it would be a nice last walk of the year.  To my surprise, I had only been walking for about 10 minutes or so when I came across a decent sized mixed flock.  After separating all the tufted titmice, yellow-rumped warblers, et al., I thought I heard a call of one of the species I still had yet to find this year.  I stopped to really listen, and I heard it again.  Yes!  It was a pair of golden-crowned kinglets calling from near the creek.  I finally put my bins on them and received visual verification.  What a treat.  I certainly figured the day was done and almost left after this, but I decided to push ahead, just to enjoy the rest of the trail.  At one point past the confluence of the orange and white trails, I decided to veer off the trail to explore.  For this I was rewarded with flushing an american woodcock which abruptly gave out a "peent" call as it flew up and away, with the only look I saw was of it's long bill before it quickly went out of sight.  And with that, the woodcock increased my total number of bird species observed in Alachua County to 241.

Golden-crowned Kinglet (next 3 photos)




I am not prone to care about how many birds I've seen (not that there is anything wrong with it), but it became somewhat of a challenge to see how many different species I could find in my first full year in the county.  It was certainly fun and engaging.  I was able to meet many wonderful people along the way.  I traversed beautiful habitats.  I learned more calls and subtle plumage differences than I knew before the year started.  I was able to witness interesting events while out and about.  It all made for one hell of a fantastic year to be out in the county.  Now the year is over and a new one awaits!

No comments:

Post a Comment