Friday, July 5, 2013

A NEW KING IS CROWNED

It seemed it would be a fairly simple task to provide some commentary and/or updates during the June Challenge (JC) this year via this blog.  Apparently between working out of town and actually getting some time to bird when home, it proved a more difficult task seeing as it's the day after Independence Day and I'm just getting to writing about the JC.

A lack of severe weather (aka tropical storms) and a return to more typical water levels in the local wetland environs severely limited the number of rarities encountered this year, especially compared with the species last year's drought brought in for the JC.  However, some good finds at Newnan's kept it interesting.  Caspian, least, and forster's terns were identified on the lake, along with a greater yellowlegs and tree swallow.  In fact, except for backyards, the rarities were pretty much confined to Newnan's. 

Even though the rarities weren't abundant, it didn't diminish the challenge one iota.  I had a blast running around and checking places I sometimes forget to during the summer.  I followed a hot lead on a hairy woodpecker at LEAFS and was rewarded with observing a pair where the most recent prescribed burn occurred.  While there I was also fortunate to collect some solid BBA II data, such as fledgling pine warblers, eastern bluebirds, and brown-headed nuthatches.  I also ran into a recently killed scarlet kingsnake probably dropped by an american crow.  Certainly it's something you don't get to see by sitting indoors during June.

Juvenile eastern bluebird at LEAFS


Adult red-headed woodpecker at LEAFS





Brown-headed nuthatch in flight at LEAFS

Juvenile pine warbler foraging in recently burned portion of LEAFS
Over at Possum Creek I waited over 2 hours to see an adult yellow-crowned night heron, all the while questioning my sanity.  Thankfully there were two similar-minded individuals present who made passing the time quite a treat.  In fact, I had more fun waiting to see the bird and enjoying my company than actually seeing the bird.

Later in the month I decided to combine atlasing in one of my blocks with the JC at San Felasco SP, north of Millhopper Road.  I was fortunate to collect great breeding data on several species and also got great looks at hooded warblers, eastern wood-pewee's, red-eyed and yellow-throated vireos, northern bobwhite, numerous red-headed woodpeckers, and a cooper's hawk.
Adult male hooded warbler singing to attract a mate

Adult red-eyed vireo foraging at San Felasco SP
The JC even spurred a few of us out to Barr Hammock just for kicks to see what was present.  No rarities were present, but there certainly was a wealth of expected freshwater marsh and shrub marsh species present.  Getting out to some places you might forget about during the summer months is another one of the great attributes of the JC.  Heck, even checking out the super moon at the 441 observation platform in the prairie provided great looks at barn owl and black-crowned night heron. 
Yellow-billed cuckoo with insect prey in bill

Singing adult male blue grosbeak
Not a bird, but a luna moth drying its dew-laden wings in the early morning sun is always a superb sight to behold!
The last interesting bit of birding for me came on the second to last day of the JC.  In an attempt to gather a few last minute birds, I checked out the Newnan's Lake environs.  Even though I had heard no gulls or terns had been spotted earlier in the day, I figured since I was there I might as well check out Palm Point to see if anything had come in by chance.  After scanning the lakeshore for quite some time I decided to pack it in and head home.  Halfway to the parking lot I had looked up watching the vultures soaring overhead when one didn't look quite right.  It was smaller than the surrounding vultures, had upswept wingtips, and was hovering like a...short-tailed hawk!  Sure enough, I was looking up at a dark morph.  I got the word out as quick as possible, but only two people were able to make it out.  We watched the hawk intermittently from the parking area for nearly 2 hours as it soared, foraging overhead.  What a great species and high note to end my JC!

Sadly I missed out on the JC potluck party because I was yet again out of town for work, but I was elated to hear Jonathan Mays took home the trophy!  I couldn't believe his tally, especially given he missed quite a bit of the month being out of town himself.  Rex again showed his JC dominance with a strong second place finish.  I was surprised to find out I tied with Lloyd and Howard for third place - a great duo to be tied with indeed!  So there you have it, a new king of the JC was crowned this year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment