Saturday, July 6, 2013

HERE COMES THE RAIN

It's pretty much been a return to normalcy throughout the state this year regarding the daily summer rains.  In fact, the last week or two has seen quite a deluge of precipitation.  Certainly it's a huge deal, as it is helping to recharge the aquifer and abate the long-term drought.  However, it does put a damper on how often one gets out to bird.

Yesterday it was a mix of rain and overcast weather, but it seemed to let up in the early evening.  Upon checking the weather radar, it appeared most of the rain had subsided for the day, or at least the next few hours.  So I decided it might be a decent chance to go bird the prairie and check out what wading birds and other species may be lurking about before bedding down for the night.

The weather continued to be overcast, but it seemed the rains would be held in-check while I went for a walk along the trail system.  I had brought my camera along with its waterproof case, but I decided to leave it in the truck because I didn't feel like lugging it around and it was probably not going to rain on me.   Big mistake on my part.
Some of the "wild" horses foraging near the barn
For a long while, the weather was nice and cool, with a light breeze.  Some of the horses were foraging around the barn.  Birds were out and singing and calling all around.  The typical wading birds were out foraging (great blue heron, great egret, snowy egret, etc.), as an osprey was tearing apart a fish for dinner above the sink, and several male indigo buntings and blue grosbeaks were out singing their hearts out.  Even a mother orchard oriole was bringing a caterpillar meal to her 2 young fledglings just off the trail where red-winged blackbirds had made their nests and reared their young this year.
Adult female orchard oriole with juvenile

Adult male blue grosbeak belting out a tune for the ladies

I figured since the weather was looking fine I would head down to the observation platform and see what was present.  A few minutes later I noticed the sky was turning pretty dark on the east and south ends of the prairie, and I could see rain coming down.  I still chanced it, figuring I may just have enough time to get to the platform for a couple of minutes and make it back before the rains hit.  Another big mistake on my part.  I didn't even reach the platform when the rains unleashed.

I ran as fast as I could to the platform to stand under it for shelter from the storm.  Right where the short trail begins prior to the platform, I scared a king rail off the trail and into prairie as I was running full steam ahead.  I made it to the platform and all the equipment was dry so far.  I thought it might pass over quickly, but I was wrong yet again.  With no end in sight of the rain and lightning and thunder now making an appearance (with me just standing under a nice magnet for the lightning to boot), I decided to make a run for it.  I wrapped up the camera and binoculars under my shirt and made a mad dash for the parking lot.  I ran non-stop all the way to the boardwalk by the sink.  Along the way, about halfway to the boardwalk, I accidentally chased off a pair of adult king rails.  Apparently this species enjoys popping out on the trails near nightfall when it is pouring down rain.  I made it to the covered part of the boardwalk, rested a minute and then headed for the barn.  Again, I rested there for a minute to catch my breath.  It was still coming down in buckets, so I decided to just run for the truck.

I finally made it to the truck, where I had luckily kept some towels.  I quickly dried off a bit, and checked the equipment to see if it had made it through my stupidity.  Luckily everything was pretty dry and no damage seemed to have been incurred.  I dried off the equipment and headed for home.  So, the lesson learned is don't take anything for granted and don't assume anything, especially when you've lived in the state long enough to know the summer rains can be unpredictable.  So be prepared and don't slack off just because you don't feel like carrying the load.

No comments:

Post a Comment